Monday, October 21, 2013

Pinterest Saturday!

In an effort to actually do some of the awesome crafts and ideas that we find on Pinterest. Some friends and I have decided to take one saturday a month to get together and do them! I have taken this opportunity to make some Christmas present during this time, and I can't tell you everything I've made because then those family members wouldn't be surprised now would they?

I can however tell you about the super cool homemade dry oatmeal packets that I made this last saturday. There are so many preservatives in those packets that you but at the store, not to mention how hugely inflated the price is for oatmeal. So I found a recipe here:http://www.pinterest.com/pin/101682904060311291/. Now I will be honest, I went a little crazy and just HAD to buy all the freeze dried fruit that she uses in the recipes and they are not cheap! But, if I were trying to save money and not just healthfulness I would probably make some that were just cinnamon, or PB using PB2. That would not only save your health by consuming less preservatives, but the price of all the ingredients would be a lot less. Also, now that I have a container of oatmeal, nonfat dry milk, and chia seeds, I can make a lot more packets in the future without having to buy a whole bunch of ingredients. Here are some of the stuff I bought to make them.
 
Now I did use brown sugar for the sweetener instead of using a sugar substitute, my reasoning, I haven't found one that I like yet.So if you have a favorite, leave me a comment and I'll try it! Also, it was already in my cabinet and I didn't want to buy more sugar. This is Amanda, my roomate from when I was in college! 

 And here is the finished product! Using the small snack bags, and a sharpie to label them accordingly. What I ended up with was 3 cocoa banana, 3 PB banana, 6 apple cinnamon, and 6 raspberry orange. I do not know the shelf life on these, but with the weather turning colder here, they are not going to last very long!

No comments:

Post a Comment